Sacred Heart Province was established in 1891, along with two others in the West (St. Ignatius Province, based in Missoula, Montana, and St. Vincent de Paul Province, based in Portland, Oregon). The provincial seat moved north to Seattle in 1924, housed with St. Vincent Home for the Aged. In 1961, the provincial offinces moved to the new Providence Heights College of Sister Formation in Issaquah, and then was housed with the health system offices at several locations in downtown Seattle from 1975 until 2008. The year 2000 saw the merger of Sacred Heart Province and St. Ignatius Province to form Mother Joseph Province. In 2008, the provincial offices were moved to Renton, Washington, along with the offices of Providence Health & Services.